July 1, 2011

Barefoot Running benefits of a Midfoot/Frontfoot Strike

By way of background, this Father's Day, Abbie thoughtfully decided that I needed a new pair of sandals and had Mommy procure a pair.  Umm, thanks Abbie, but I've got my eye on some different footwear.  Yes, yes, it's the thought that counts but have fun in the return line. 

A few weeks pass and today I decided to buy a pair of Vibram FiveFinger shoes and incorporate them into my running.

I bring them home, put them on and telling Abbie that it's her substitute Father's Day's day present to me.   

See?



Abbie looks the shoes a queer look and this conversation happens:

Abbie:  Daaaad-eee? (Asking in her curious inquisitive voice)
Me: Yes?
Abbie: Are those sandals for handicap people?

Opinion of the shoes: After putting Abbie and Nathan to bed, I ran ~2 miles in the shoes.  Running in these barefoot shoes is like day and night compared to normal running shoes.  Not only do you run faster due to the lighter weight shoe, my foot striking has moved close to the front of my foot on impact and I don't "clip-clop" along with a heel striking motion during my run.  The heel striking is especially pronounced when I tire and my running form gets sloppy.  As a result, I didn't experience the normal minor joint aches and pains that I normally have while running.

I think we can preliminarily say there's a correlation with the new footwear and less joint pain, but so far so good. 

More trials to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment